Monday, October 3, 2016

Day Two: Download of the Day - "I Do!"


Today is our 23rd Wedding Anniversary.  I’d say it’s hard to believe how long we have been married but I feel every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every week, of every month, and of every year of our marriage.  I don’t mean this in a bad way.  I am GR8TFUL that we are still married.  We have been intentional about our marriage.  We have intentionally put God first in our marriage.  We put in the work.  We showed up daily and that is why we are still married today.

It wasn’t always like that.  We were both selfish.  We fought a lot. And we were unequally yoked.  But God.  But God rescued us from ourselves, thanks to a faithful prayer warrior friend, and we are here, together, to tell of His faithfulness.  I am so GR8TFUL that I am married to a stubborn Marine who was willing to fight for our marriage and came to know Christ after we were already married for almost two years.  I don’t recommend being unequally yoked but God was sweet to us.  And God is BIGGER than any problem we had or any challenge we will face in our future.

Here are a few keys I believe made a difference in our marriage:
We both know God.
We pray together every night.
I realized he was not responsible for my happiness.
God taught me that my marriage is a ministry and I am to honor God through it.  I learned this from a Bible Study called Marriage Without Regrets by Kay Arthur.
I also recommend the book Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.
As a born worrier I gleaned a lot from Linda Dillow’s book Calm My Anxious Heart.  One thing this book taught me was to be content – in all my circumstances.  This made a world of difference in my marriage.
I am less selfish.
I remember that my husband is on my side.  We are on the same team.  He is not my enemy.  He loves me and he is doing his best. 
This list could go on but I think these “few” keys give you a clear picture. 
I can tell you that I do not regret a single minute or ounce of energy that I have put towards my marriage.  Neither of us is perfect, but God is perfect in us and He keeps us together perfectly as we continue to seek Him in prayer and glorify Him through our marriage.
I would like to recommend one more book to you that is not technically marriage-related.  However, it is powerful and will change and strengthen your marriage through audacious prayer.  I am currently doing the study by Mark Batterson called The Circle Maker.  And though I find myself in a great spot in my marriage I am struggling with praying boldly and dreaming BIG!!!!  This book has already changed my life and I felt that way before I finished Chapter 3.  All I can say is, “Read It!”

12 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Happy Anniversary!

Cristina Myers said...

Great post! Love this download and happy anniversary <3

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Awesome word!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Melissa Haag said...

There is some REAL advice here! But God! Love you sister, happy anniversary to you and your marine!

Margaret McConnaughhay said...

Happy Anniversary sweet Girlie!
Praying for many more years to grow in the Lord together!

Louise said...

Happy Anniversary! ๐ŸŽ‰ Congratulations!

Louise said...

Happy Anniversary! ๐ŸŽ‰ Congratulations!

Heidi said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary!!

Lisa Halls said...

Happiest Anniversary!! What a blessing you both are in MY life!! Love you so much Sis!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

FC Farwell said...

So good and wonderful - a most blesed anniversary!

Casey Hand said...

Thank you sweet sister for your words!

Jamie Kalba said...

Happy Anniversary my SWEET FRIEND!!!
XOXO