Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Day Twelve: Conversations on Community Part Two


Shelly’s answer to my question on community:  "I am a little ashamed to admit how I struggle with community.  I always feel like I am “bothering” people when I invite them over or suggest a coffee date or something else.  God has shown me that this stems from my past, as my mother used to tell me not to bother people.  Anyway, I guess it all stems from my identity - which use to be in people pleasing and is now in Christ."

The interesting thing about the above words of a friend is that she is an amazing hostess.  I just recently was invited to her house and she has a beautiful home. Her very inviting home has a large, fabulous farm table where great conversations over our favorite beverages would happen easily.  I plan to invite myself over a lot now that I have discovered her sweet space. 

It’s sad when people in our past speak negativity over us or speak their insecurities over us and we just accept it and live with it.  I can totally relate as my mom projected all of her insecurities onto me and I carried them for so many years.  The good news is both my friend and I know where our identity truly is and we can now walk in that freedom.  Christ died for us so we could live.  God sacrificed His only Son so that we could live an abundant life (John 10:10) where relationships would flourish and communities would be strong.  


Christ walked this earth and did community by sitting, and eating, and sharing with people.  He is our example on how to “do community well”!  Christ was excellent at “inviting” people to do life with Him and I believe that is part of our purpose, here on earth, as well.


This beautiful woman above will be 106 years old next month (November 2015).  Her name is Reva and I got to have tea with her when we were visiting her family in Michigan this past August.  She spent our time together, and afterwards, talking about how much she enjoyed going out for tea with me.  She was beside herself on this day and I will cherish this memory forever.  I had no idea how much she was going to enjoy this outing.  I just wanted to have lunch with her and try this tea house that we have passed many times and have never stopped in to try it.  There was nothing fancy about this place. However, that didn’t matter to her.  We were out having tea together – that’s all that mattered to her and so that is all that mattered to me. 

Invite people to do community with you.  
Not all of them will say yes.  
But the ones that say YES will become cherished memories indeed.

How can you invite someone to do community with you this week?  Please share in the comments and share a picture of you doing community together on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LarissaR.Traquair


6 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

How cute is she! I Iove sitting down and having tea/cofee with my friends .

livingmyportion said...

I am really enjoying your posts on community. A hard truth hitting home with me that I don't invite others in often enough. Thanks so much.

Melissa Haag said...

I hope we are still connecting at Reva's age. :)

Jen said...

My own day 12 post was on community too. I struggle to reach out into community, but when I have, I don't think I have ever regretted it. I firmly believe we're all made to be in community, whether we're introverted or extroverted, and the power of living in community has profound impacts on our lives!

Kim Rogers said...

I have a new pasttime - essential oils. I'm learning so much about these oils and all the home made healthy items we can make for ourselves. And so, as my circle of community is growing through these oils, I've decided to open my home this Thursday to share what I'm learning about how to use the oils more effectively. I will make some lemon cookies with real lemon oil, a cider with real clove and cinnomon oils, and we will make a sugar scrub, inhalers, lotions, etc together. This is just a way to fellowship and get to know these gals more closely. I see this as the community God is laying on my heart right now to reach out to :) Now I need to be prepared for who comes, and not disappointed in who doesn't :) He will bring together the exact community for that day :)

blestbutstrest said...

Ah, community is hard for me, too--mostly because I'm a very happy introvert. I find doing community a bit frightening and awkward, but I'm always grateful that I jump in anyway :).