Thursday, October 8, 2015

Day Seven: Choose To Do Community Well!

Yesterday we talked about why Healthy Communities are Important and I closed that post with this:

We are infectious whether we like it or not and we get to make the choice – Will we affect others in a positive way or in a negative way?  It’s our CHOICE!  Choose wisely sweet friend.  Choose wisely!!

So did you choose to affect people in a positive way?  If so, than today’s post is for you as I share 3 points I believe will help you once you decide that “Doing Community Well” is your goal.  I could share over 100 tips on “Doing Community Well” and it probably wouldn’t be a comprehensive list so I am choosing the 3 that I think will give you a great start!


This can seem like a no-brainer but a lot of people get stuck here.  What does it mean to be intentional?  This means you do something on purpose.  You actually make an effort to make something happen and you MAKE it happen.  In regards to community, you would be intentional about joining a community; supporting a community or creating a community.  Several of my peeps have mentioned that time is a huge challenge for them in regards to community.  If you want to “do community well” you will need to make time for it.  I do this by scheduling “community”.  What does that look like?  

I literally put community creating, building or sustaining activities on my calendar: Face Time with my friend – sustaining and building my friendship with Lacey (scheduled the first Monday of each month); Life Group – creating, building and sustaining activity (scheduled every Wednesday night); Coffee or lunch with friends – creating, building and sustaining activity (schedule with different friends each week); Periscope/On-line community – created, building and sustaining (scheduled daily/sometimes twice daily); Saturday Night dinner with other couples – creating, building and sustaining activity – 2nd Saturday of each month.  And I could go on and on.  We must schedule our intentions just like any other appointment.  People may cancel but you are consistently showing up and when others show up it is a beautiful thing.  And I promise that others will show up!!!

Once you decide that building community is important to you and you are going to be intentional about it then you need to resolve to BE BRAVE about it too.  What does this mean?  Don’t cancel out of fear that someone may not like you; don’t no-show out of fear that they may no-show you; put yourself out there and trust that everything is going to work out – because eventually it will.  (More on this later!)


Keep showing up.  Keep scheduling community building activities.  Be the example for others.  Drag other people into your activities and before you know it, you will be a part of several amazing communities that will be well worth the time, risk, and effort!!!!


Be intentional!  Be BRAVE!  And NEVER, ever give up!!!!  You were created for community!!!  

Your mission is to just GO OUT and do it well!!!!

P.S.  Thank you to Ginger Harrington for helping me with my graphics, button, etc.  Ginger is an author, speaker, loves Jesus, and is a seriously fun friend.  Find her here in her corner of the world.

3 comments:

Tara Ulrich said...

Such great tips. So important to be intentional about doing community.

Ginger Harrington said...

Love your three points. I have had fails on all of these, but also sweet successes too. I see the value of scheduling time--too often I fly by the seat of my pants. I have learned so much from you, my friend!

Kim Rogers said...

I love your heart for community. Billy and I have reaped the blessings of your spirit of hospitality :) I love that I have friends from different groups - church, longtime prayer group and other friends, scrapbooking and essential oils for starters :) It provides me the opportunity to come together with these different groups with a common interest on a regular basis. I still need to be intentional about speaking to everyone individually when I see all these sweet friends. And that's exactly why we also need to PLAN a lunch or something on a one on one basis so we can really be a friend and hear their heart. This is where I need to do better :) Thanks for your encouragement :)