Sunday, October 25, 2015

Day 24: Community Killers 2 – Unwilling People

There are many reasons people don’t engage in community.

People have been hurt.  People don’t want to make an effort.  People don’t want to invest in the time it takes to participate in community.  People don’t want to be held responsible.  They don’t want people to notice that they are missing.  They just don’t want to be noticed at all.  Some people feel awkward.  They are insecure.  And this list could go on. 

I do believe there is one main reason that people do not engage in community that outweighs many of the others – they do not want to be held responsible for anything.  When you start showing up in a community you may be asked to take responsibility for something or someone. You may be asked to plan a function; organize something; or take over completely.  Community isn’t just about us and that scares a lot of people.   

I am intrigued by Henrik’s quote. I have never really thought about being prepared to “take the helm” but it’s happened to me and it’s why I am where I am today.  I showed up.  I showed up consistently.  I offered to help.  And then I have been asked to “take the helm”.  You grow as you lead.  You learn a lot about yourself as you organize a function.  You learn what works, and what doesn’t work, when you work closely with a community of people.

To “do community well” you will be stretched.  
You will be asked to do things you never thought you could.  
You will be asked to participate in many different ways.  
Be prepared! 

No comments: