Saturday, November 1, 2014

Day 31 “Transitions – The Next Chapter Begins”

It’s hard to believe that today is October 31st – our last day of this 31 Day Writing Challenge sponsored by The Nester.  I am so glad that I said YES! Even though I had less than a week to prepare; I had just finished traveling for over 60 days with the hubs, in a vehicle, all over the Continental U.S.; and we moved into our house on September 29th and 30th.  I wrote my first 10 days at our kitchen counter while using my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.  Needless to say everything around me was screaming DO NOT ADD ONE MORE THING!  And God’s still, quiet voice said write. And so I said YES to God and He has been so faithful. 

I didn't want to choose Transitioning as my topic.  However, I asked what my peeps thought I should write on and transitioning was the one topic that resonated with them most.  It actually ended up being the perfect topic for me!  I was able to write from the front lines, so to speak.  Some days were really hard because I am not an expert at transitioning well.  All I know is that when I have planned for transitions my life has gone more smoothly.  I know that it is important to plan for transitions and I wanted to help anyone else who struggles in this area as well.

I truly believe that writing over the last 31 days has been a huge help in my current transition.  I love when God does that sort of thing – when He calls you to do something totally out of your comfort zone and that doesn't make sense, and He creates this beautiful outcome that you could have never expected.
I have learned so much about myself and I have no doubt that I have improved in many areas, in regards to my blog, over the past month as well.  I have no idea what I truly expected to happen throughout this challenge or how I would feel today so it’s somewhat hard to process.  You see, not only is today the end of the month, it is the last day my husband will be an active duty Marine.  Today I say goodbye both to this amazing opportunity to improve my writing, encourage others, and make new friends and I am saying goodbye to 21 + years of a way of life.  Was this all in God’s plan? 
 
(USMC Retirement Ceremony July 25th 2014 Oahu, HI)

Though the answer doesn't really matter because the end result is still the same.  I started and finished an amazing goal; I proved to myself that I am disciplined and I can finish what I start; and I am different though I can’t explain specifically to you how I know this to be true.  And, I have an outlet, today’s post, to say goodbye to this chapter in our lives and transition into the next one.  Though I am emotional, and tears are close, I am also so very excited to see what God has planned for our future!  The hubs is doing well in his new role already.  He has embraced being home which has been very helpful since we just moved and we still have at least 15 boxes to unpack and a whole house to organize for the long haul.  I have loved having him home though it has taken some serious adjusting on my part.

I have actually been thinking about how I am going to transition out of this challenge into a new schedule since almost the beginning and I don’t have it all sorted out yet.  I know that I want to keep writing consistently – everyday even, though I will not be posting on my blog every day.  My goal is to start the new habit of doing a “brain dump”, or some call this Morning Papers, where you sit and free write onto 3 pages to unload the mess in our heads and to free up our minds to create.  I have been intrigued by this habit since April and I have yet to put it into practice.  In addition to writing every day, I have joined a few groups, that were born out of our 31 day challenge, so we can all stay connected from here on out.  A lot of us don’t want to let this go and we are grateful that others feel the same.  I, like many others, have been surprised by the connections we have made and how supportive this group has been.  Some even call it “finding my tribe”!  I am grateful to find other women who know that God has called them to write though they have no idea what that means in the future.  It has been fun to read the comments, thanks if you are one who commented on any of my posts over the past month, and to know that a few of you were inspired by what God was saying through me.  All I know is that God called me to write, at a very inconvenient time in my life, and I am so grateful that I said YES!!! 

I also know that God is not done with this topic of transitioning yet so I will be revisiting it here on my blog when the topic comes up.  I do know that I have a friend who will be facing a huge transition soon and she has agreed to read all of my posts, put some of the tips into action, and we’ll discuss what worked and what didn't work so I can come back here to share with you all.

Thank you for reading my posts!  Whether you only read one, or if you have followed since Day 1, I appreciate you!  God has used many people over the years to encourage me to write, and though I didn’t always listen in the past, I am listening now!!!  Adios to October 2014; to this challenge; and to our active duty status!!!  Hello fresh start!!!  We are ready for you! 


Please share your take away from this challenge if you have participated or, share your favorite part of my series in the comments.  I love hearing from y’all!!!

9 comments:

AGirlOntheDoorstep said...

Congratulations to you on finishing strong in 31 days and blessings as you transition to a brand new way of life. Also, thank you to your husband for his faithful service to this great country, and to you who helped make it possible for him to serve! God bless you!

jviola79 said...

May God be with you both as you make this transition. Thank you to both of you for the years you served us all! Blessings!

amanda huffman said...

When I transitioned out of the military my first son arrived as well. It was a difficult transition. I don't even want to think about the transition I will have to make when my husband leaves the military as well.
PS i love your idea of a daily brain dump. I don't plan on posting everyday, but like the idea of continuing to write everyday. :)

Susan said...

I just found your site today through the 31 days of writing.

Transition is an resonating topic for me too. I look forward to going back and reading your other posts on this.

Congrats on finishing and God bless on your new start.

Melissa Haag said...

I have enjoyed this series, and I am so glad that I found your blog on this challenge. :)

Laura Schofield said...

I just found your blog today (on the LAST day of the challenge!). I can't wait to come back and read through them all. 2 years in and I feel like I am still transitioning INTO active duty life.

Julie Kieras said...

I love the idea of a brain dump - 3 pages right off the bat. I bet I would benefit from that in more ways than I know! :)
Congrats to your hubby's retirement and I wish you both the best - we are all transitioning in life, but yours is definitely a biggie! :)

Ginger Harrington said...

I'm so proud of you! You have finished well and it has been a true blessing to read your series. Congratulations on a successful completing of the military career for you and Bill! Can't wait to read what God is going to place in your heart for the days to come.

momsanrn said...

I read all 31 of your posts on transitions, and I even took notes! I can't wait to share them with you! Thank you for your way with words and knowing just what some of us need to hear~ or read! Love you sweetest friend!