Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 7 "Transitioning Through Disappointments!"


I have been thinking a lot about how disappointments relate to transitioning well.  I thought what a serious “speed bump” this could be if we stayed disappointed during a transition.  And I was reminded that no amount of planning, or experience, will guarantee that every transition will go well.  Yesterday’s Monday would be a perfect example of this and since yesterday was about someone else’s journey I can’t share the details right now.  Suffice to say that from almost the very beginning of the day nothing went as planned and I was derailed from the great plan I had created the day before.  This derailment wasn’t only taking me away from my physical plan but it sidelined my emotions as well. 

I could describe yesterday as a total disaster if it wasn’t for God’s sweet perspective given to me this morning.  The good news is that today is a new day!  Despite being derailed, I remembered that I did accomplish a few things, including getting yesterday’s post done, and spending valuable time with a hurting friend.  And, because I was determined to change my attitude I was also able to talk with another friend who calmed my anxious heart during our conversation.

I believe we can learn to bounce back from disappointments quickly, both in life and through transitions, if we learn how to do it well. 

Here are the keys I believe will help us bounce back from disappointments:

Be rooted in God’s Word!
Have A Positive Attitude - cultivated through gratitude!
Plan for derailment!
Never, ever give up!

For those of us who believe that Jesus is our Lord and Savior know that being rooted in the Bible is key to our walk with Jesus.  And because God’s Word is filled with ordinary believers who faced extraordinary challenges, we can trust that our God is in control of our extraordinary challenges as well.  I know, without a doubt, that God was not caught off guard back in the Old or New Testament and so He is not caught off guard today in my life or yours.  This brings great comfort to me!!  God is in control and He calls us to not become discouraged - which is what leads to being disappointed in our challenges.  I have always loved reading Joshua 1:9 as God was reminding Joshua of His promise and what Joshua, and us are to do in the knowledge of that promise.


God is always with us and we truly know this by being in His word daily!

I will continue sharing about the keys to helping us bounce back from disappointments through our transitions in tomorrow’s post.

I’d love to hear how you stay rooted in God’s Word and how God showed you a new perspective after a recent disappointment!

6 comments:

dayebydaye said...

I love that your focus is being rooted in God's Word. We can't control situations and disappointments, but we can have our anchor firmly planted in truth, so that when those things come, we will not be shaken.
Right now, I am typing out my Dad's sermons (30 + years worth of them) and I am using them in my devotional time. I love it!
Great post!! Thanks for sharing and I pray that you will be able to continue clinging to truth!

childrencount said...

I was feeling discouraged recently and God really spoke to me through someone's preaching when I watched a church-service online.

Marie said...

Choosing to have a positive attitude is key to sailing through disappointments, and disruptions to our day. We need to keep in mind, comforting hurting people and serving others is more important than our to do lists. Thank you so much for visiting at Blooming in His Garden and leaving your link to this very helpful post. God Bless

Denise Dilley said...

This verse in Joshua is one of my favorites! I never thought about being rooted in the word as one way to help when transitioning through disappointment. But it makes sense. As we read His word, it becomes a part of is and enables us to get through difficult times. And attitude is so crucial! If we remember that we can't always control our circumstances but ALWAYS have control over our attitude, disappointments will be so much easier to overcome.

Lydia Dantzler said...

Great post on such an important, but rarely talked about subject! I'm looking forward to following along in your 31 day series!

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

Nothing makes me more wonky than the unexpected hiccups. I have to breath deep and remind myself to Let Go and Let God!