Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day Four: "Transitioning Whys and How-to's Part 2


Now that you have had a day to think about your goals and transition plan we can move forward to the why and how to set yourself up to transition well.

Knowing your “why” for any goal is the key to succeeding in that goal.  I shared yesterday that my why was to get healthy and figure out why I was still exhausted.  Once I had my “why” clearly in front of me I needed to take the next right step – create an action plan to get me to bed on time.  In this case, the action I needed to take was to create my nighttime routine.

Here’s an example of what my nighttime routine looks like: 

My alarm on my smart phone went off at 6:50 p.m. every night.  I finished what I was doing at that time, which was usually watching TV with the hubs, and started my nighttime routine.  My routine included completing any unfinished business in the kitchen – starting the dishwasher is one example.  Then I would jump on Facebook to post on my fan page from my laptop.  Then I would head to our bedroom to wash my face, floss, and anything else that was part of my hygiene ritual – this takes at least 20- 30 minutes as there are many steps in this process.  Since we don’t have children who would need me at this I can take this time for myself.  Obviously your routine will look different.  My goal was to actually be in bed by 8p.m. to scroll through my FB timeline and respond to anything I could in 30 minutes.  Then the hubs would arrive and we would pray together and then I would read a few pages out of the current book I was reading.  Please note that this was not, and still is not, a perfect system.  The great thing about creating new systems, or routines, is that we figure out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't work and then we can adjust the routine accordingly.  I highly recommend you re-evaluate your routine early in the process and don’t keep doing what is not working.  Make adjustments and move forward.   

I am having to adjust my routine again as we just recently moved (I think I might have mentioned that once or twice) and the hubs won’t need to be up at 4:45 a.m. every day so he could get to work.  One thing I discovered about my nighttime routine is that it seemed nearly impossible to turn the lights out by 8:45 p.m. However, I was being consistent in turning them off around 10 p.m.  Since our lives have changed dramatically now I have decided to change up our routine and see if  I can get 8 hours of sleep consistently by going to bed at 10 p.m. and getting up at 6 a.m. 

If this concept interests you at all, here are some action steps to take:

Think about if transitioning well is important enough to you to make a change?  If YES is your response than move onto the next step.

What is your goal?  Establish your “why” for this goal as well – this keeps you on track!

Create a plan to accomplish that goal.  In this case, I created a nighttime routine.

Put your plan in action!  I set my alarm as a reminder of my plan and set it in motion.

Not every transition is going to require an extensive routine like I shared above– this is just an example if you are looking to do something similar.  Without a lot of planning, the hubs and I created a morning routine that we stuck with for over a year before we moved.  This routine included getting up at 4:45 a.m.; working out together; eating breakfast; and then the hubs went off to work by 6:30 a.m.  At this point I consulted my cleaning schedule and spent 30 minutes cleaning a small portion of our house.  Then I got ready for the day.  The hardest transition for me was after I was dressed and ready for the day – usually from 8:30-11 a.m.  So my new goal, in my new home, will be to create a mid-morning routine to get me to lunch.


Share with me if you have created similar routines and how they are working for you!!!

5 comments:

blestbutstrest said...

I could probably use a bit more scheduling in my life--especially in the hours after I get home from work when I want to be writing and exercising, but often waste time on Facebook ;). Thanks for the ideas!

Lacey said...

I could use some more scheduling too as I do this Nutritional Therapy class! I need to get more organized about how I do it... Thanks for sharing the details to give us ideas of how it might look!
Love ya!

Melissa Haag said...

I definitely need to get better about a night time routine!

Ruth Babel said...

I really love time blocking. It really helps me stay focused and get things accomplished!

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

I really need to work on scheduling my routines. I have a difficult time transitioning and it takes YEARSSSS! I'm still transitioning into being a wife and that started 14 years ago!