Monday, October 6, 2014

Day Five: Transitions – When You Hit the Speed Bumps of Life!


As we explore how to transition well it's important to remember that this process isn't always going to be easy; it may very well get bumpy along the way! And when life gets tough I call this navigating the Speed Bumps of Life!!  I am hitting speed bumps during my current transition and God has been sweet to me through them. 
Just remember that some transitions are easier than others. And there is always hope.  Our hope is in our AWESOME God who is with us every step of the way!  We can know for sure that God is never caught off guard by our circumstances and He is so much bigger than our difficulties! These truths have helped me get through the more difficult transitions for sure and God has taught me that a wise girl can prepare herself ahead of time to transition better than ever before!
I have prepared for future transitions by remembering how I did during the last one. Whether I did well or not I can learn from my past and make positive changes for the future. One example has to do with the physical aspect of moving. I realized that I needed a lot of time to transition from one place to another and I needed my husband to be more patient and kinder than usual. I had a heart to heart with him, after a particularly tough move several years ago, and this has made all the difference in the world!  Remember, that our spouses, and our friends, are not mind readers – share what is on your heart so others can help you. We were not created to do life, or hit speed bumps, alone.
Right now I am working on being kind to myself on the hard days and I kick into high gear on the easy days. This is really hard for the planner in me since the hard days usually sneak up on me.  I hit a bump in the road just last week so I had an opportunity to put this practice into action. I was missing the normalcy of the life God created for me through my physically, local girlfriends and an amazing prison ministry on Oahu.  
This particular day I was feeling overwhelmed and alone. I let it get me down for a short time and then I started focusing on all that I already had right here in Texas.  And, I focused on the truth. One obvious truth is that I am not alone - God is always with me and my girlfriends are only a phone call or FaceTime session away! I also reminded myself that I was tired, and rightly so, after having traveled and lived out of a suitcase for more than 60 days. 
Since I know that I do not do well on little sleep, I gave myself a break – literally and figuratively. I took a deep breath; read some fun blogs; walked away from the situation that was bothering me; and I probably jumped on Facebook to connect with some peeps.  The good news is that I was able to regroup and move on.  The other good news is that I have learned to recognize God in these situations.  I am not saying that He put this speed bump in my path as much as I just know that He knew it was coming and He helped me through it.  When I see God in the daily details of my life I am reminded of how much He loves me and that I am not alone.  He loves you too and you are also not alone!!!!
Please feel free to share a “speed bump” you have hit, or are currently in, 
where you can see God in the details! 

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Moving is hard and lonely for a few months... hang in there! My speed is a sweet person! She keeps us going 5 mph so we don't bottom out running over the bump! Well... that analogy doesn't work! I am not running over her! LOL I can get so antsy and want to do ALL the things, but God reminds me through her to slow down. The daily routine is holy ground if I let it be. And His faithfulness is new every morning... even if I am sitting on the couch crying because I am tired! I just need to take the next step and we get through it and my heart is full!

Gloria Elder said...

Transition is a great thing to remember.Recently I have re learned, that I need to allow myself time to grieve. If its a move,friendships, loss of a loved one, giving up something you really love or the change of life.
All require transition. With it comes many tears, sadness and feeling alone! Grief or transition, I am getting quicker to spend that time alone with God, trust in a confident, or join with a prayer partner. Either way, emptying myself out back to God, he is the only one that can handle transformations! Great post!!!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for your post. We are in different transitions - mine, as big as it seems to me, isnt as big as yours seems to me - but big none the less. I love the Reminder of giving yourself time to rest. With transitioning comes giant to do lists and it's hard to rest in the messes - but it's also important. (And thanks for the fb boost. ;)

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

Moving is very hard and lonely!!! It's a fresh time to establish new habits and routines though. I'm working on that as well.