Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 29 “Transition Well – Write It Down!”

With only three days left of this 31 day writing challenge I have so much going through my mind.  I know my last day’s post will be a wrap up and I have an idea for tomorrow’s post already.  So that leaves today.  I am so excited about my accomplishment and yet I have so much more I want to say.  I know I don’t have to say it all today, in this post, and that I can continue to write about transitioning well way past October 31st.  So I grabbed one of the many thoughts rolling around in my brain and decided that is what I am going to write about today!!  Gratitude and journaling are today’s topic!

I use to be a disciplined journal writer.  I was inspired by my MIL many years ago and I even wrote a post about it here.  More than writing in my journals, I loved going back a year later, or longer, and sharing some of those thoughts on Facebook.  I would even tag my friends so we could walk down memory lane together and they seemed to really enjoy it.  Sometimes I wrote about a new lunch place we enjoyed and who was on that particular adventure with us that day.  My journals aren’t filled with wisdom and reflections as much as sweet times with my peeps.  I loved journaling and then it stopped.  Three years ago my husband had just returned from a 6 month deployment to Iraq and we were planning a move from Okinawa to Hawaii.  All those plans took an unexpected turn when an unknown mass was discovered in my husband’s abdominal area.  Needless to say there were a lot of details involved in speeding up our move and trying to look for a house to rent while we spent the rest of our time at the hospital.  I will write more later on this subject.  The great, praise God, news is the hubs has been cancer free for over 3 years and he is getting ready to retire from the Marine Corps after 29 years and 6 days of service. I say all that to say that I abruptly stopped journaling.  Worst time ever to stop as it would be so great to go back now and look at all that God did during that time.

As I am reflecting on these past 27 days, I am so grateful that I have recorded some of this current transitional journey right here on my blog. Not every one of my posts has been faith based.  However, God is in every detail whether I write about it or not.  It makes me think of this Bible verse:

“Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not 
yet created may praise the Lord:”
Psalm 102:18 (NIV)

The author of this Psalm is unknown and my Bible notes describe this as “God’s certain deliverance of his people being recorded for his continual praise.”  A record to share with future generations.  A written account of God’s amazing grace and love for His people.  He loves us equally as much today and it’s just as important to record what God is doing in our everyday lives for the future generations to come.  It doesn't all have to be about mountain top experiences – just write what is on your heart and take time to go back and read it again later.  Write what you are grateful for – recording the sweet blessings of day to day living. 

I know I can remember some of the BIG things God has done in our lives and ultimately, in our case, we know that God healed my husband from the leiomyosarcoma that was growing inside of him.  What I wish I had recorded and could remember are some of the sweetest moments during that time.  The small interactions with the doctors and nurses.  The things we had to laugh about or we would have cried or given up.  Those little moments where God was there and we just didn’t know it at the time.  We did take some pictures, to include the picture of his cancerous tumor, and those are great visual reminders of God’s sweet provision.  God healed my husband and we moved forward and enjoyed our three years on Oahu.  Life goes on, and so many sweet things have happened to us since June 10th of 2011. 

I am more inspired today to share about the amazing life we have been blessed with.  One thing I have done for over a year now is post three things that I am grateful for as my last Facebook update every night.  And this has made a huge difference in what I focus on.  Now I want to take that gratitude and write it into a journal that I can hold and share and that won’t get lost among all the shared posts; tags; pictures; memes; and what not on Facebook. 

I love Kristin’s quote above as it is raw and truthful and full of hope.  Side note:  This Kristin is not Lance Armstrong’s ex-wife.     

I referenced my past journaling post at the beginning of this one and I recommend you read it if you want to know how I started journaling; what I use to write in; and what I use to record!!!  I am not sure how I am going to approach journaling this time around but I promise to share all about it in a future post!!

Do you journal?  Why or why not?  What kind of journaling do you do?


5 comments:

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

I love that you took the time to really reflect on missing the little things during those 3 years! Your perspective is so refreshing and inspiring.

I pray that you continue to take time to write down a little something every day.

I have journaled off and on for my entire life. I threw away all the journals I kept as a kid. They were full of hard times and difficult events. I didn't want anyone to ever read it and felt that by throwing it away I was moving on.

Now I've started bullet journaling/life mapping... basically I'm making my own planner out of a composition note book. I get to be creative and to just write down whatever I want.

Melissa Haag said...

That quote brings tears to my eyes. I am grateful that this 31 day challenge has allowed me to veer from my regular posting and really pour out my heart. So glad I found your blog trough it!

Jane Hartselle said...

Retirement is a wonderful time in my life. Enjoying each day . Wishing you happiness in thus new time in your life.

Rachel shewmaker said...

Praise God for your husbsnd bring cancer free! Thank you to him and you for his service. Yay! For retirement. Keep on Journaling. You are doing great!

Shellie said...

You have given me inspiration to journal again consistently. Thank you for this beautiful post today and what a blessing this blog is to so many!