Monday, October 27, 2014

Day 26 “Transitioning Well – Jesus Made The Difference” (Sunday Sermon)

Our pastor is doing a 4-part series titled “The Difference”.  Last Sunday I shared my sermon notes about Zacchaeus and how his testimony should be our testimony.  If you missed it you can listen to it here.

This week we covered John 4:3-30 where we come to the very familiar passage in scripture where a Jewish carpenter asks for water from a Samaritan woman – aka the woman at the well.  (Audio of sermon found here.)

John 4:9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman.  How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

Take time to read about this encounter and how Jesus was The Difference in her life. 

Here are my key points:

Jesus went out to where the people actually were and willingly made himself weak and vulnerable in order to communicate.

Jesus listened to people’s story – he always addressed people at their point of need.

Jesus was people-centered.  His message was relevant to each person and each situation.

Jesus knows us and each of our situations.

Jesus comes to us to offer forgiveness.

Jesus is calling us to a new way of living and he wants us to share the difference (he has made in us) with others.

What I love about this encounter is that Jesus did not adhere to the social norms of his day nor does he adhere to today’s social norms.  He speaks to all of us – whether we are the woman at the well or a tax collector like Zacchaeus.  He was sent by God to forgive all of us.  He knows everything about us and it doesn't matter what that is – your sin isn't worse or better than the Samaritan woman’s sin.  Jesus came to forgive us and then he wants us to turn around and share this new-found freedom, his free gift, with others.  We are all in need of a Savior!!!

As I have said before, God is the one constant in our lives no matter where we are or what we are going through.  As I have focused on God during this current transition I am in I have found His peace, His peace, through His Word, is helping me transition well in this season of life I find myself in. 


What is your take away from these passages in God’s Word?  
What can you meditate on right now if you are in a transitional period like me?

1 comment:

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

I love that story! People used to go out of their way to go around Samaria (sp?) and Jesus made it a point TO GO to Samaria.

He sought her as he does us, just to let her know that He loves her.

Love it!