Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 23 “Transitioning Well Through Prayer”

One consistent thought in all of my posts has been to pray – at least in my mind, even if I didn’t type it out on the page.  This got me thinking about the importance of prayer in our everyday lives and how it brings us great peace and how important God’s peace is during any transition.  I have no doubt that there is power in prayer!!!

Among all my journeys as a Marine Spouse I have learned many useful tools that I have packed in my toolbox to take with me.  One practice that a sweet Marine Corps spouse shared with me was her habit of writing out specific prayers for her friends and family.  The first time she did this for me I was so blessed by it.  Praying to God is our unique opportunity to communicate with Him and interceding for others is another privilege that we have as believers.  My sweet friend took this a step further and wrote out an intercessory prayer for many people in her life. Receiving one from her was a rare and sweet gift.  I have never forgotten this practice and I have done the same for others.  I also have done this for myself. 
I don’t know if you are like me but I tuck a lot of things into my Bible – my Sunday sermon notes; notes from other people; sticky notes and a myriad of other papers and they typically fall out whenever I am flipping through the pages in my Bible.  I love this as it feels like a gift every time a paper falls out as I have to look at it before putting it back.  This exact thing happened last night and again this morning with a prayer that I had written for myself to pray while I was doing a study of Abraham some time ago.  I wanted to share it with you all in case this practice sounds like something you would like to do and if you could use a little encouragement this morning.

Dear Lord:  I want to have Abraham’s faith.  He had the faith to believe in “the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were” (Romans 4:17b).  Like Abraham, I do not want to weaken in my faith (Romans 4:19) no matter what my circumstances look like.  I do not want to waver through unbelief regarding your promises (Romans 4:20).  I want to be strengthened in my faith and give all the glory to You!  I’m walking boldly, being fully persuaded that You, Lord, have the power to do what You have promised (Romans 4:21). Amen.

I have included the scriptures that I reference in this particular prayer.  I don’t always do this but it was important to me at this particular time.  I wish I could tell you which Bible study prompted this prayer and/or what circumstances were surrounding me at the time but I can’t remember.  All I know is that I feel God’s great peace as I read these words, written in my own writing, some time ago.  I pray it brings you peace and strength today as well.  

Do you write out prayers like mine above?  
Do you do this for your loved ones?  
Please feel free to share one of your prayers if you would like.  

4 comments:

Lisa Healy said...

I've kept a prayer journal in the past, but found that for me, it became something to check off of my "to-do list" for the day, and that's not the way I want to handle prayer. I usually just lay in bed in the morning going through a list in my head, instead.

Measi said...

This is beautiful, and it resembles my Book of Shadows (which I've been woefully neglectful of over the past few years). It's as much a collection to reflect the journey of my own faith and inner peace as it is sending blessings to others. :)

Best to you,
Melissa
http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

Susan Shipe said...

I began a prayer journal but it became too rote for me. I pray on the run most days, but I pray. I rather think my whole day revolves in talking to my Three Best Friends and keeping Them very involved with my thoughts and actions. xo

rhaponenko said...

Prayer is such an important thing to your spiritual health. Thank Goodness God listens to all our prayers and promises the faithful will never be left.