Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day One: 31 Days of "Transitioning Well Through Everyday Life" Intro

October 1st is a great day to start the 31 Day writing challenge, created by The Nester, and what better topic to start October with than “Transitioning Well Through Everyday Life”!  For me, October really starts the fall season and gets me geared up for Thanksgiving and Christmas!  Though I don’t celebrate Halloween by dressing up in a scary costume, I do love the orange, purple, and black combo of colors that unofficially represent Halloween and help us transition from summer into the fall.  I am excited about this challenge as it gives me the opportunity to grow in my writing, and more specifically, it will help me become consistent in writing every day.  I chose the topic of transitioning as I am in the BIGGEST transition of my life right now – the hubs is retiring from his 29 year career with the Marine Corps at the end of this month and we have just moved from the island of Oahu to the Great State of Texas to start this new season in our lives.  We will be saying goodbye to the active duty lifestyle that has made up our entire 21 years of marriage (our anniversary is tomorrow, October 2nd); we’ll be settling into our “retirement” home; searching for a church body to call our own; finding the ministry that God has created for us; and we’ll be adopting two bulldogs after being without four-legged critters for over 4 years!!!!  That is a whole lot of transitioning that will be going on in less than 6 months.

I also chose the topic of transitions because I have been working on transitioning well, with the help of my Life Coach Julie Muller, for the past 2+ years!!!  We all transition every day, whether we know it or not and whether we do it well or not.  Every morning we start our day by transitioning from sleeping to being awake – those who transition well are called Morning People and those who don’t transition well are called grumpy!!!  I am somewhere in the middle – I don’t bounce out of bed when the alarm goes off but once I have brushed my teeth and put my contacts in, I am ready to begin the day with at least a small smile!  I have created a morning routine that helps me transition well into the day and I have also created a nighttime routine that helps me transition well back into bed at the end of the day.  I saw the need for creating routines to help me transition well as I discovered that I wasn’t getting to bed at the time I really wanted to so I wasn’t getting the amount of sleep I needed to.  My life coach helped me create a great routine that is very specific to my life. One example is that I like to get back on Facebook one last time before I go to bed to update both my personal page; my fan page; and connect with my peeps.  I spend more than 5 minutes doing this so I created ample time for it because it is important to me!!  I also take a fair amount of time to get ready for bed so I allow at least 30 minutes for that process too.  I will go into more details later and I will share my exact routine with you all.  For now, I just want to share how important it is to set yourself up to transition well because it’s going to happen whether we cooperate or not.  And it happens everyday!

I hope you’ll join me over the next 30 days as I share how God has helped me transition well through the many changes we have experienced over the past 3 years.  As a Marine Corps family, we have transitioned, aka moved, 11 times – from living in the states to living in Japan, then back to the states, and then back overseas again.  We have transitioned from having pets to intentionally not having pets and, for me, that one was really hard.  I also transitioned from being an only child to being one of eleven when I was reunited with my biological family over 21 years ago!  I transitioned from having my adopted mother and step-dad in my life to losing them both within 2 months of each other.  And I did this less than 6 months after my husband survived cancer while we were moving from Okinawa to Oahu.  And because of the death of the two closest people to me, and the husband having cancer, we transitioned from living a really unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one and we are still transitioning through this process!!!  

I will also cover many more transitional topics over the next 30 days and I look forward to taking this journey with you all!!!  

31 Days of "Transitioning Well" series:

Day 1: You are here!
Day 2: "From Single to Married - When Reality Sets in!"
Day 3: "Transitioning Whys and How-to's Part 1"
Day 4: "Transitioning Whys and How-to's Part 2"
Day 5: "Transitions - When You Hit the Speed Bumps of Life"
Day 6: "Transition Well Into Monday"
Day 7: "Transitioning Through Disappointments"
Day 8: "Transitioning Through Disappointments Continued Part 2"
Day 9: "Transitioning Tip - Take a Break!"
Day 10: "Transitioning Through Disappointments Continued Part 3""
Day 11:"Transitioning Tip #2 Trust God Despite Your Circumstances!"
Day 12: "Transitioning Tip #3 Adjust Your Sail As You Go!"
Day 13: "Transitions - Weave Fun Into Your Transition"
Day 14: "Transitions - Easing Back Into Reality"
Day 15: "Transitioning Tip #4 How To Encourage Your Spouse"
Day 16: "Transition Tip #5 How To Encourage Others"
Day 17: "Transitioning - Plan Something To Look Forward To"
Day 18: "Transitions Made Easier Through A Morning Routine"
Day 19: "Transitioning Well - The Church Body is A Familiar Thread (Sunday Sermon)
Day 20: "Transitions - Making Decisions and The Will of God"
Day 21: "Transitions - Mourning is Part of The Process"
Day 22: "Transitions and Friendships"
Day 23: "Transitioning Well Through Prayer"
Day 24: "Transition Well - Dependence on God's Word"
Day 25: "Transition Well - Celebrating Traditions"
Day 26: "Transitioning Well - Jesus Made The Difference"
Day 27:"Transitioning Well Is A Choice"
Day 28: "Transition Well - Seek God’s Will”
Day 29: "Transition Well - Write It Down!"
Day 30: "Transitioning Well - Momma Knows Best!"
Day 31:

2 comments:

Two Become Three said...

Fantastic start!!!! LOVE day 1 -- thank you for sharing!!!! I'm looking forward to reading Day 2 and HAPPY ANNI tomorrow!!!!

Kimberly S. Schroeder said...

Great post!

I love the concept of transitioning. I will work on being more mindful of said transitioning so I can go from grumpy to a morning person! :-)

It's amazing how well my day goes when I get enough sleep.

Can't wait to hear what comes tomorrow!