Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Perfect Cup of Cocoa

My current obsession, for the day, is drinking hot cocoa and I have perfected it! I mentioned the perfect cup of cocoa on facebook a while back and was asked what made it perfect and for a picture - so here we go!!!!!

Why cocoa? I'm not a coffee drinker. Not because I don't want to be or that I haven't tried my darnedest to create the perfect relationship with a cup of joe. "Joe" does not like me. I love the way it smells and tastes but my stomach revolts and we'll just leave it at that. I have also tried to love drinking tea - especially tea without adding sugar. I have failed at this relationship as well. Tea leaves a weird taste in my mouth and I can't drink it without adding sugar. I have discovered, however, that I love the Jasmine tea that is served at Daikon No Hana and I don't have to add sugar to it. Not sure how to get that same recipe so I can enjoy it at home though. And since I can't enjoy this wonderful secret at home I had to find an alternative.

That is what has brought me to my new obsession - hot cocoa. Though it does have sugar and my "secret" recipe adds sugar in several forms, at least I love drinking it. I look forward to the time, every morning, after I eat, that I create this wonderful cup o' joy and sit at my computer reading blogs, or returning e-mails or updating my status on facebook.

Here are the ingredients for the perfect cup of cocoa: Hot water, cup, cocoa packet, cinnamon, whip cream, General Goods International Suisse Mocha coffee drink mix, and flavored soy milk and a spoon. Side note: I'm not advertising or getting paid by General Foods, just trying to be specific here.

Destructions:

You must start with the right cup. My cup, the slightly pink, ceramic item just behind the cocoa packets actually holds 16 oz. of liquid. This is a must and I will cover the "why" later.

Obviously you need a way to create hot water and we do this via our Sunbeam water-heater-apparatus. You choose whatever method of warming water as you would like since I'm sure this process does not affect the perfection that you will enjoy later.

Choose your favorite brand of cocoa packet - I happen to have two choices in my house because "why do, when you can over do".

Cinnamon - my new favorite and I have no idea why.

General Foods International Suisse Mocha Coffee Drink Mix - Choose whatever flavor you like, this is just my personal choice. This little tin of 60 calories per 1 1/3 tbsp powder brings back great memories of my husband making me this hot concoction and bringing it to me in bed. No work involved on my part. Whatever happen to those days?

Whip cream that can be dispensed and not spooned - vital to the look.

Coffee flavored soy milk. Or almond flavored milk. I use soy or almond because I am lactose-intolerant.

Note from my friend, Matilda: The soy milk is from MaxValue but I have bought it from San A and Kanehide too - any grocery or convenience store will have them. Although, I have to say they don't all have the same flavors available all the time. There are 2 brown ones, the coffee (it has the "co- hi" katakana on it) the other is almond... I think. There are so many good flavors.
More destructions: While your water is coming to a boil add your cocoa packet, a tablespoon of the Suisse Mocha and a couple of shakes of cinnamon. Stir dry ingredients. Pour only half of your water into the cup, along with two tablespoons of flavored soy milk, stir, and pour in the rest of your hot water.

Here is the key: leave space for tons of whip cream, dispensed in a circle leading up to your mound at the top.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top and ENJOY!!!! Happy sipping!!!!

6 comments:

Dasha, Sarong Queen of the East China Sea said...

mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm perfect for our snowy weather, think I'll go whup up a cup now, thanks for the idea, friend!

K_dubzzz said...

Sounds fabulous!

Shawn Gallego said...

Yummy!! That sounds like one good recipe!! Thanks for pics...you really worked hard on this post. Never heard of coffee flavored soy...gotta find it here.

Z loves hot cocoa now too! I will try and do more blogs too and put a pic of Z hot choc!

MamaJoe said...

Yummers. With the snow falling and the weatherman calling for up to 8 inches today, cocoa sounds like the perfect combination for settling into my scraproom where my evergreen candle burns, and creativity awaits me.

Anonymous said...

James loves hot chocolate too, I make it with, 1 cup of milk, add a dash of Nutmeg, and heat in microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes (or if you have a high watt micro, test with 1 min etc) then I add 4 heaping teaspoons of cocoa mix (sugar already in it) and a drop or two of hot black coffee, I have already filled his "Super Big Cocoa" cup 1/2 way up with mini marshmellows (whip cream would be fine also) and pour cocoa in cup over marshmellows serve with a spoon for getting goodies. Babe, try nutmeg once and see if you like that it goes really well with milk (or soy milk). Ask the restaurant you mentioned that has Jasmine tea, it is most likely seeped loose tea. Love ya. Mom

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Unfortunately, I love mixing regular coffee with a packet of hot chocolate...YUMMY!!!
Yours looks awesome, though, and I think I'm gonna have to try it! Always up for a new way to have cocoa!
Tea - I am so from the south and make a gallon each evening with dinner....real sweet (3/4 C per gallon of tea!)
Stay warm!!!