Saturday, January 9, 2010

Adventures in Journaling - Update

I am so excited that not only are several of you inspired but I have seen your journal in living color and you are staying motivated. And this has motivated me. As I have said in the past, I chose to make journaling a priority to strengthen my journaling skills in my scrapbooks. And, as I have also said, that mission has not necessarily been accomplished. That's okay though. I am moving forward and continuing to journal even though my goal in this exercise has changed. Change is good, right?? At least that's what "they" say!!!

Once my habit in journaling became natural I started thinking about making some changes. Changes like writing stuff a little more meaningful than what I had for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I dropped my breakfast notification but kept lunch and dinner since I usually ate out and discovered new places to eat, making my life sound more interesting. So then what? Then I moved on to writing "One Cool Thing" that I saw God do in that day or just "One Cool Thing" that happened. Unfortunately I have not done that a lot lately.


My point: Once you get knee-deep into this "exercise" start making some little changes. Change can create growth if we allow it. It also keeps things interesting. I'm not talking about change just to change but change for the sake of trying something knew, spicing things up and keeping you coming back for me.

My other point is that I am creating a new "category" in my journal thus making an addition to my daily writings - creating a change to challenge myself and for something new to look forward to next year when I get to go back and read what I wrote. Remember, this is my favorite part.

My new "category" is called "I learned today................." and I started yesterday, Friday, January 8th, 2010.

Here is the excerpt from yesterday:

"I learned today............."

that I love to laugh and I should do it more often.

to know your pots and pans. Some "warm up" faster than others.

Ellen DeGenere's friend, Gladys Hardy, is the funniest person in the world!

First, I decided that I may have more than one thing "I learned today............" and so I decided to add a large sticky note to the left side of my journal. I cannot bring myself to write on the back side of lined paper. Just not going to happen in my lifetime. That's just me - do whatever works best for you. I still wanted to keep writing about the normal, everyday stuff that I write about so I "created" more space by utilizing the usually wasted space of the left-side of my journal - a.k.a. the backside of yesterday's notes.


Second, without reading Friday's journal, the above info may not make sense. Here is my explanation:

I had a movie day with the girls yesterday and we watched "Julie and Julia" with Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. Awesome movie - I highly recommend it. If for no other reason than to laugh. However, you have to watch it with girlfriends because it just isn't as fun without them. And, if I can enjoy a movie about cooking than anyone can. The movie even inspired me before we watched it and I had made a huge pot of "Jana's Potato and Bacon Soup".

Hence, my next "lesson in life" aka "I learned today.........." - potato soup will burn, while reheating, if your pot is thin (have no idea what this pot is made out of) and you don't keep stirring. Advice: know your pots and pans. At least pay attention to the thickness of each different pot or don't assume that since your crock pot "pot" didn't warm up soup several weeks ago in 3 hours that your stainless steel (assuming this) pot will take as long. Bottom line: I burned the soup and now my pan must be sent to the graveyard for cooking mistakes. Sorry sweet new pot of mine!!! Your sibling will miss you!


The last thing I learned goes along with the first - I love to laugh and the discussions between Ellen DeGeneres and Gladys Hardy, no matter the topic, makes me laugh the most and I don't have to commit to a two hour movie. I don't agree with Ellen's lifestyle but you cannot argue the fact that she is funny and she brings out the funny in others. Not that Gladys needs help - she is funny on her own and she is a real person, with her own blog, and she is a grandmother who is loved and adored by her family. The love and adore her so much that they created the blog for her and to share her with the public who has come to love and adore her as well. Enough said, watch this and all the Gladys videos on YouTube:


and this one


Gladys is the women who coined the phrase "I love Jesus but I drink a little". She is so worth "watching" though you don't get to see her, you just watch Ellen and listen in on their two-way conversations. Ellen hears from fans more about Gladys than any other guest, show or topic.

I've gone on way past my point so I'll stop!!!!! Happy Journaling!!!!

6 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

I hope to join you in the journaling dept soon...gotta find a notebook that I really want to use - and will use!!!

I love knowing that you love to laugh!!! I do too!

Take care!!!

K_dubzzz said...

Fabulous update! I have continued to journal since 25th of December. LOVING IT! I like to note the weather since it's usually hot and humid and right now it is FABULOUS! The soup was still fab! Can't you just use a green scrubby to get the black stuff off?

Professor Cupcake

Anonymous said...

I think I heard that you can boil plain water in the pot to soften up the burned stuff and then attack it with a good 1/2 inch of plain old table salt poured into the bottom of pan with a scrubby or a stiff brush, it will scrape up the burned on ick and save the pan from the trash heap.
That salad looks soooo good!!!!!!! what is that light green thing on top that looks like tiny tiny grapes on a stem, very pretty and interesting. Mom

Just Me said...

Hey! My journaling is going well, I think! I had no idea you didn't like to write on the back side of lined paper...how can I know you for 12+ years and not know that???? And you don't just "not like it" you refuse to do it. Huh. Thanks for being a great encourager! love you lots

Just Me said...

La, guess what??? I finished my first journal notebook!!! I wrote on every day even when I had a migraine...it said, I hate migraines, but at least I wrote. I also missed one day, but when I realized that I had an empty sheet I went back to it on a day I had lots to write and filled up the empty page. I feel like I accomplished something. You always say set small attainable goals and I did with your help. Thanks!

Larissa said...

Congratulations Laura!!! I hope everyone else is doing well in the journaling department!!! April has been a fun month to look back 1 and 2 years ago - Easter, the hubs and my birthdays,etc. This makes journaling so worth it!!!!