Thursday, December 3, 2009

Have I accomplished enough today?

"Finish each day and be done with it.... you have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you will begin it well and serenely." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote was posted on my friend Debbie’s status, via face book, and I couldn’t resist “borrowing” it and sharing it on my blog. It’s amazing how God speaks to us in so many different ways and, if we are listening, He will minister to us right where we are. This quote came at a perfect time. I always thought it would be fun to blog about a recent quote I had read and I have been encouraged to just sit down and write on my blog without worrying about the topic – so I’m not ignoring the fact that it has been months since I have posted here, I am just adopting this quote as my new motto. I am finished with this day and I’m going to be done with it and look forward to tomorrow.

Why are Emerson’s words so hard to apply, even after a practically perfect day like today?

I had an AWESOME day with several of my friends today and yet I found myself slipping back into that “I didn’t accomplish enough today” mode. This usually happens when I am making my way home, a small commute from Kadena to Courtney, and assessing what I had accomplished thus far in that particular day. Why is it that I feel I have to accomplish anything in a day to feel justified in how I spent it? Do you feel that way? I do feel this way a lot, unfortunately. Even on days that I have accomplished a lot I still wonder if it was enough!

Was it enough that I devoted most of my day to creating a craft for an upcoming PWOC program?

Was it enough that I laughed with my friends today?

Was it enough that we talked about what God was doing in our lives this week?

Was it enough that we prayed together and shared a meal together and we even used a coupon?

Was it enough that we laughed until I thought we were going to cry?

Was it enough that 6 of us piled in my van and we ran our errands together? (3 of “us” were kids)

Was it enough that we did everything in our power to get said craft done today?

Was it enough that we visited with other friends along the way?

Was it enough that I turned up one of my favorite songs on my iPod, “Sweet Escape” and we sang our hearts out while others were watching us drive down the road, dancing and singing?

Was it enough that I drove over 30 minutes each way just to spend time with my friends?

Was it enough that I did the dishes and a load of laundry once I got home?

Was it enough that I tried to put out more Christmas decorations but found sitting on the couch with the hubs more tempting?

When is it enough?

Today I am allowing “it” to be enough!!! I laughed, I cried, I listened and I even acted as referee for a few disputes over the Wii and “they” aren’t even my little peeps!!

Today I have done what I can do and absurdities definitely crept in. And that is okay!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Girl, You do more in one day than alot of people do in a week, thats just you. But I think you got the hang of it, if you spent time with friends laughing time with a child being a friend, appreciated Gods Great World, shared a quiet time with the husband. Oh you did enoght today, and now I think you know how to accept that and step back and say Thank You God for all my Blessings.
Love you Boo. Mom

Heather @critter chronicles said...

:-)

K_dubzzz said...

You got soooooooooooo much accomplished Thursday. We had sooooooooooooo much fun. My kids are still talking about how very cool you are!

I am trying to change my outlook on life. If I am going to enjoy my friends for the day, I will not think, what ifs. I will have no regrets. If I am going to have a dessert, I'm going to enjoy it with no regrets. If I know I'll have regrets, I'll skip it.

Look forward to future adventures!!!

Mary and Sean said...

Like you, I'm always struggling with the same need to feel productive. But you're right that just being a friend and laughing with someone is enough. I always think that on my death bed, I'm never going to wish that I checked more things off my list.