Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday Tidbits

Last Thursday I took an adventurous trip to Motobu in search of a new restaurant to try. My driver was my friend, Dasha - a fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants kind of gal. Without printing directions we headed out on our trip and soon figured out it's always best to have the correct name of a place before searching for it. Read her version of the story here - it's hysterical!

We found this restaurant in the Motobu Hills that served some out-of-the-ordinary items. I ordered the Beni-imo, Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoe, soup which included whole-grain bread and a small salad. The soup was warm and fabulous. Dasha described it as the best potatoe soup she's had - I would agree. There was a hint of sweetness which, in my book, makes any meal better. The only thing that made it better was having lunch with a fun friend with a fabulous view of our crystal, blue Okinawan water! We then visited a fun & funky store that I will be covering on Okinawa Hai next week - check it out next Wednesday.

Friday found Bill on a four-day weekend so we did what any good American in Okinawa would do - we met friends at Mister Donut for breakfast!!! We paid our off-base bills and cruised at home for the rest of the day. We have started re-watching Season 3 of Bones. It rained off and on all day so staying inside was a great plan

Saturday was the 4th of July which I already posted about! It was an exciting day for my friend, Joelle - she gave birth to her 3rd child and her 1st girl. Little Kira will always have many friends to celebrate her special day with and two older brothers to keep an eye on her!!! Congratulations Yamada family!!! Joelle is the one who "recruited" me for Okinawa Hai and we attend bible studies together on Tuesdays.

On Sunday we we attended services at Calvary. Pastor Rick spoke on 2 Corinthians 12:11-15 and titled it "All For You" Part 1. We enjoyed lunch at our favorite Soba House with the Hawkins and did a little shopping at my favorite Y100 store. We closed the night out with several more episodes of Bones - it's getting really intense and ickier with each episode. The makeup department is getting a lot of business on this set. Our friends, Josh & Jenny, celebrated 1 year of marriage today - Congratulations!!!!

Monday started the week off well as I continued working on my Tuesday morning Bible study. This week we are talking about Love. I came away with two key points: We are commanded to love (John 13:34-35) and we are commanded to honor one another above ourselves (Romans 12:9-10). I've read both scriptures before but they came alive today and I am being challenged by them. God always gives us an opportunity to apply His Word to our lives - it is up to us to be obedient! I cruised with my friend Dasha most of the day and met Bill at Gordy's for dinner. Gordy's is our favorite hamburger joint on-island!!

Tuesday is where you will always find me on Kadena Airbase for PWOC. This is the 2nd day of our study where we could scrapbook in class as we learned about the Fruit of The Spirit. Our discussion on love was emotional and encouraging. I love our class and each women in it - the creativity abounds and their willingness to share their hearts is refreshing!

Several of us found time in the afternoon to sit for almost 2 hours for a Cocok's pedicure. I got my toes painted black with light and hot pink flowers to accessorize my newly softened feet. Later that evening we watched Max Payne. Not recommended for those of us who hear "bump in the night" to often. It was pretty violent, with some language, but the story line was good.

Wednesday I had a brain-storming meeting in the morning and a fabulous lunch. Just four of us ventured out to the Dim Sum restaurant I might have mentioned a few weeks back. It's a Chinese restaurant inside the Hotel Nikko Alivila. It serves both a buffet, with the best shrimp options on-island, and a Dim Sum cart service. Though this is not the cheapest lunch you will enjoy at Y2,500 it will be one of the yummiest with a breath-taking view.

We wandered the grounds of the hotel and happened upon the Picture Church on the property. My assumption is that the Picture Church is exactly what it's name implies - the place where they have pictures taken. They do have a typical church setting inside for a ceremony though I'm not sure how many Christian weddings would take place there. As you can see, it's absolutely beautiful.


In the evening the hubs and I went to the movies and saw "Knowing" with Nicolas Cage. Not sure I would recommend this movie either. I really like Nicolas Cage but I didn't like the ending. I should have been better prepared that this flick would have more of a sci-fi feel to it but I was still expecting something a little different. I wouldn't say not to see it, maybe just wait until it's on video. It is a little intense in parts so it's not for the faint of heart.

Have a great week and I'll see you next Thursday!!!! I'll have 2 surprises to share - one has something to do with eating "in" and the other surprise............. Here's three clues: it will have nothing to do with being pregnant, winning the lottery or heading back to the states early.

3 comments:

K_dubzzz said...

Can't wait to hear about your week next Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Love the toes. The soup does look good, you do understand sweet potatoes are a vegatable, just kidding with you. We missed alot of the shows that come on to late for old folks or on a same time as something else our VCR died a valiant death after many years of service, oh well. Love your Thursday blog. Judy M

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Your toes are just too cute!!!
Life is zooming here but I am really trying to keep at least caught up somewhat with my friends!!! Looking forward to hearing more of your weekly to-do's!

Pamela