Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday's Tidbits

This is the begining of a new habit. I'm trying to find something that will motivate me to blog at least once a week. I have taken on a new volunteer position as an editor for Okinawa Hai and part of my logic was that it would strengthen my blogging skills and thus I would blog more. So far that theory is not working. So I got this idea from Heather, another Okinawa Hai editor, who does Tuesday's Tidbits. Since I missed Tuesday I am making mine Thursday's Tidbits. Thursday's work better for me anyway!!! The concept is simple: I will blog about random things I have done over the last week!!!! Here goes:

Last Thursday I was still in the U.S. preparing to pack my bags for the second-to-last time (12th time in less than a month) as we prepared to board a plane from Dulles to Vegas. I discovered that I suck at packing - end of story!! So, in perfect girlie-girl fashion, Gloria and I headed off to get our toes done before our great adventure! We enjoyed our last lunch at Red Robin together and hopped into the car headed toward the airport. We were both so relieved that Shaun was driving and we didn't have to deal with G.G. anymore. G.G. is Gloria's Garmin who wasn't very nice to us during our travels from VA, to N.C., then to S.C., the on to Georgia and with our final destination being in FL! We arrived in Vegas at 7:40 p.m. grabbed our bags and headed to the only place you go when you first land in Vegas - In-N-Out Burger, of course! Note to all: This was our second dinner but we sure couldn't wait until tomorrow night!

Last Friday was spent doing all "my" last minute shopping at a "real" mall. Then we took our chances and all three of us braved Wally World - ugh, no matter what state you are in this retailer is always a chaotic mess. Not complaining, though - I'd love to have one in Okinawa. We enjoyed lunch at Chipotle's, my last time for a while, and then headed back to our hotel. I chatted with my mom regarding my grandfather's health - he's not doing well and the mess we call INSURANCE certainly isn't helping matters. I spent some time on-line and then moved on to dinner. My last supper in the states was at one of my favorites - PFC Hang's. We affectionately refer to this Asian Bistro as such because that's how my husband roles.
Last Saturday we headed for the airport for me to begin the great adventure back to Okinawa!! A quick goodbye was suggested by Gloria so we wouldn't cry. Instead, she cried in the car and I cried in the airport - obviously we won't be doing that again. I boarded a plane for LAX at 10:30 a.m. and thus began my incredibly long trip home. I'll save you from all the details. Just know that it was long, I sat in the middle seat between two men who had bladders of steal and I totally lost one day of my life.

Last Sunday was spent sitting between two men, without access to movies due to an electrical issue. Because of this great inconvenience I now have 3,000 more miles to save for another trip back to the states - if I dare try this again. I flew from Vegas, to LAX, to Norita and then grabbed all of my luggage and boarded a bus to Haneda. Then I checked all the bags back in for my flight from Haneda to Naha where my sweet hubs was waiting for me. One little side note: I was so exhausted (over 24 hours of traveling with no sleep) and the airport was so hot that I misplaced my boarding pass for about 10 minutes - can I just say "freaked out" would be the best description of me at that moment!!!! The good news is that by midnight I was reunited with my bed, my sweet four-legged companion and the best husband ever.

Monday found me awake at 4:30 a.m. but I was quickly able to go back to sleep. I chatted with my long-lost friend, Gloria, for a few minutes and then headed off to my nail appointment with Yuko. My exciting day gotten even better as I started unpacking, doing laundry and preparing for the bible study I am facilitating on Tuesdays. We had dinner at our favorite Izakaya, Kitakaisen, and I was in bed before 9:00 p.m. Exhausted to say the least!!!!

Tuesday began our new summer studies with PWOC. I am facilitating a scrapbooking study called "The Fruit of The Spirit". We have 10 ladies, including me, and I am so excited to see how God works in our lives over the summer. I was reunited with some of my friends and PWOC buddies as we enjoyed lunch at Krishna's - great Indian Curry house!!! I spent the afternoon opening my latest birthday box from Laura and Gloria, took a nap but didn't really sleep, and started preparing for my weekly Okinawa Hai post! Dinner at Primo Kitchen and skyped with my friend Laura before heading off to dream land - early again!!!

Wednesday was a pretty casual day. I spent over 3 1/2 hours with Joelle as she "interviewed" me for her weekly post on Okinawa Hai. I can't wait to hear what she has to say. I loved just spending time with her and if anyone can make my life sound interesting she sure can. We laughed and we cried as we shared about our lives, all the places we've worked and life in Okinawa. Once I was back home, I did some more laundry and unpacking. Unpacking is almost as painful as packing, except that I can unpack at my own pace and there is no pressure to stay under 50 pounds!!! Bill and I enjoyed our local Thai food joint and then watched "The Kite Runner". It was an excellent movie but you have to endure a few rough spots in between. Great, heart-wrenching story well worth renting!!!!!

See you next Thursday, if not before!!!!

7 comments:

K_dubzzz said...

I love this Thursday's tidbits. Very cool. I am always so curious how others spend their 24 hours a day. So glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

who took that picture of you in my kitchen???

It was great to read your goings-ons!! Glad you are settling back into your Okinawa routine!

Love & Miss ya!
Lace

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

WOW!!! What an exciting life you lead!!! That is, compared to mine with all the kids of various ages running around just making me tired!!!
Glad you returned safely and neat to hear about your travels!!!

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Whew, you made me tired just reading what all you did over such a short time, so happy to have your feet back on the ground, always worry about those flying machines. Good luck with the Thursdays Tidbits. Judy M.

Anonymous said...

Good job.

Debbie

MamaJoe said...

Maybe this will be the thing to get me to be more consistent in my own blogging. Pick a day and just do it.

Dian said...

Love the tidbits!