Monday, April 13, 2009

Turning Forty - It's Official!

It’s 12:16 a.m. on April 13th 2009 and I’m in bed typing away as I contemplate the beginning of a new decade!!! There is a part of me that loves birthdays - mine, and yours, and whoever’s. I love a reason to celebrate and eat anything chocolate. Of course, I’m willing to eat chocolate for no reason, too!!! It’s just hard to imagine that I’ve been alive for 40 years, married for over 15 and living overseas again. It’s hard to imagine what the next decade will hold but I’m going to embrace it!



Then there is a part of me that dreads this birthday. In honor of “Keepin’ It Real” I have to admit that I wouldn’t have planned turning forty on the island of Okinawa. I certainly did not want to welcome 40 with this hair, my unruly eyebrows, at this weight or with the warts on the tip of my nose. I know I’ve said this already this week but I feel compelled to repeat it since I’m officially 40 and this is my blog and I can say what I want!!


On the flip side – I am so blessed to have a wonderfully, thoughtful husband who did everything he could these past two weeks to distract me from the inevitable. Thanks, hubs – You’re my favorite!!! I’m also blessed to have been raised in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I know Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, I have a very loyal dog and friends who know how to have fun!! It doesn’t hurt that they love chocolate, too, and are excellent shoppers!!!


I didn’t get a chance to blog yesterday’s gift but I’ll give you a hint – it included a cake, some candles, balloons, friends, gifts and an elaborate scheme to surprise me in my own home!!! More later! I gotta get my beauty sleep - I’m forty now!!!

8 comments:

Blake and Hollie said...

He did so much. I was jealous and at the same time so happy for you. You are so fortunate to have a great man. I am so grateful to know you. You deserve the best, biggest, most awesomest birthday ever. I am glad you were born. Happy Birthday!!!! TOOT, TOOT!!

K_dubzzz said...

Sorry we couldn't be there. The kids would have tore your house apart...LOL I can't wait to hear how it all went!

I must agree with "Blake and Hollie", as I too am very glad that you were born! YOU ROCK!

p.s. Congrats on the "To Shop" on okinawahai.com!!!!! You go girl!

Mishka said...

I wanted to be there too...I am glad I got to see you on Friday though. I know I won't be nearly as beautiful and graceful as you when I turn 40 later this year...I will just cry, I am sure.

Mishka said...

Love the header picture...BTW

Cindi said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!! I just wanted to stop by and let you know you were on my mind today and I could't even access your blog today at work to get an early birthday wish in! What a wonderful person you are and such a great blessing to so many around you - you are a breath of fresh air and I am so pleased to be able to call you my friend. Let me know when you are free for lunch and I will buy you a birthday meal!

Brenda said...

Happy Birthday sweet girlfriend!!

I don't even have to say that "I hope it was a good one" because it's so obvious that the past two weeks have been so much fun. You are blessed to have such a wonderful man that loves you-and I know that you don't take that for granted (well-maybe some days!) Enjoy the rest of the day!
I love and miss you.
Brenda

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Happy Birthday!!! What an awesome way to turn 40! I'm putting the bug in hubs ear for when I turn 50...still 9 1/2 yrs to go!!!
Hope your day was awesome....just like the last two weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Larissa - I spotted you on the PWOC website and had to say hello. I'm coming to Courtney in June, so I'll say hello in person soon!
Jenny Sokol (29 Palms) JSokol@kc.rr.com