Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Turning Forty - Conversation Piece


It’s day two of my two week celebration and the hubs has delivered again. Today’s note was larger and made me laugh as I read:



“Today’s gift for your fortieth celebration will come as we retire. All your fantasies will be filled with passion and desire. Blog it to your friends, in disbelief their heads will be shaking. For tonight you have an hour in bed with nothing but talking.”

I still laugh as I’m re-reading it and typing it. I fell in love with Bill’s sense of humor over 16 years ago and he still has the uncanny ability to make me laugh. It’s really funny since most nights Bill falls asleep before his head hits the pillow and has been known to fall asleep even while I’m praying. Is he tired or am I boring? To talk to me for an hour, at night, is a huge sacrifice and will go down in history as one of my favorite gifts ever. The hard part is that I’m absolutely exhausted tonight and I’m not sure I could stay engaged in an hour conversation myself. The irony is not lost on me, I assure you!!


I couldn’t resist including my christening picture that my mom had framed for me as an engagement gift many years ago. It’s one of my favorite baby pictures and I still have the dress that I am wearing. “We’ve come a long way, baby!”

4 comments:

Kristen said...

awww! You guys make me smile! What a cute baby you were! No surprise though since you're such a beautiful lady! Alison likes to tell us she is a lady too. Maybe we should get you a tutu to wear like she does! Love you friend!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

A whole hour...nope, I could not make it!!! What a thoughtful gift, though!!!

Blake and Hollie said...

An hour! That is great. I know that it will pay the next day. Soak up the caffiene, BUT it is worth it. Me and Blake do that on a rare occasion (just lay there and talk randomly over whatever) and I know we will be exhausted the next day. I feel like I am laying there with my best friend on a sleep-over. I love it.

Love your baby picture!!! Oh, and your last post.

K_dubzzz said...

Wow, an hour!!!!! I'm not sure I know a man who would be willing to do that or actually could! What a fabulous blessing that must have been! My husband, who works mids (graveyard) usually calls me to talk to him while he's in bed so he can go to sleep! I'M SO NOT KIDDING!!!