Friday, March 20, 2009

"I am the Lord, and I do not change." Malachi 3:6

My last post was about change. More specifically, the fact that I hate change. Then God was sweet to remind me that “His faithful love endures forever”. I received a great devotional book at our recent women’s retreat and it’s my new favorite.


Brenda Pace, our retreat speaker, co-authored The One Year Yellow Ribbon Devotional – Take a stand in prayer for our nation and those who serve. On March 11th Brenda addresses this subject. Brenda recalls a time her family went looking for “something” and it was no longer there. Then she goes on to write:


Change is a reality of life. In the book Future Shock, author Alvin Toffler wrote about people needing zones of stability when they experience swift changes. In other words, they need things that will not change. I can’t think of too many things this side of heaven that meet that criterion.
Today’s Scripture offers the greatest zone of stability there is in the declaration “I am the Lord, and I do not change.” We can rest in the fact that he’s always been the same, he is the same right now, and he will always be the same. God is perfection, and there is no need for change. Scripture also tells us of three other things that will not change:


God’s love: Psalm 136 repeats the refrain “His faithful love endures forever.”
God’s Word: “The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever” (Isaiah 40:8)
God’s purpose for your life: “I cry out to God…who will fulfill his purpose for me” (Psalm 57:2).

Things in this life are made to change. Gospel writer Luke (21:33) reminded us that heaven and earth will pass away. We can count on creation changing, but the Creator will remain the same. – Brenda


At the end of each day both authors include a prayer and I have loved incorporating it into my prayer life. Here it is: Thank you, Lord, for your unchanging nature! It fills me with confidence when things around me are changing at breakneck speed. I look to you today for my stability and my confidence. I pray for military families who are experiencing rapid changes in their lives because of deployments and military training. Be their ever-present help in time of need. Amen.


This devotion gives me hope in my ever-changing world and reminds me to put my hope in Him – my faithful Creator, the Everlasting God, El Olam!

2 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Awesome word!!! I love that phrase, "His love endures forever" because it reminds me that only He is everlasting to everlasting!!!

Be blessed, my friend!

Blake and Hollie said...

Sometimes we all need a reminder. Forgive me if you already said this in the post. Is the devotional book for one year? You know, a devotion for one day. I have been meaning to ask you if you know of a Christian book store on Okinawa? I know that may be asking a lot for this island and have English translations. Maybe you can help me find something to order. I am looking for a devotional book to send with my husband when he leave for deployment. Any recommendations? Nothing too big.I ordered one of the daily breads because I know they are small and easy to understand, but I was wondering if there maybe something better out there. Oh, he isn't a Christian and doesn't own a Bible. I also want to purchase him a Bible too.

Sorry to be lengthy in my comment. This just triggered some thoughts and I thought you might be just the person to help me with this or send me to. Thank you, have a good day!!