Saturday, February 14, 2009

L is for Love

Valentine’s Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. It’s a lot like Christmas – great decorations, crafts galore and cookies and candy to send you into the best sugar high ever! Also, you can listen to love song after love song and never run out of tunes that draw a tear. I was reading my friend Dian’s blog today and was reminded of the greatest love of all – our Heavenly Father who loves us every day of the week, not just on Valentine’s Day. He also sends us great valentines if we are looking for them and are primed to obey His call. I was also reading my friend Patti’s blog and was reminded how precious life is as she has lost a dear friend today. We are not promised tomorrow so we need to show those we love, TODAY, how much we love them.


Isaiah 54:10 (NIV)” Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.


The love of my life is currently playing the sport he loves right now and gearing up for a 5 day trip of nothing but this love – golf!!! Loving my golfer has not always been easy but God reminds me that He continues to forgive and shows me grace and mercy and calls me to turn around and extend that same love towards the man he has given me!!


Psalm 136:1-3(NIV) “ Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.”


I also LOVE that God blesses us in so many ways and knows us so well. As I type I can hear the furry-love-of-my-love gently snoring as she takes a nap right behind me. Socks loves me unconditionally and will lie almost anywhere to be by my side. What did I do to deserve this love? Nothing – no matter what I do or don’t do she is by my side. Now I’m sure the homemade treats I just purchased for her help and the fact that I feed her, keep her protected from harm and allow her to visit the great outdoors certainly keeps her coming back for more. Socks’ companionship brings so much joy to my life. I love how she sleeps, how she cleans her eyes with a stroke of her paw, how she twitches when she naps, how excited she gets when we go on the same walks everyday and yet she always wags her tail as if it’s something new! She reminds me that I am so blessed to have both furry companionship and wonderful friends in my life – who I also do not deserve!!! We’re going out with some of those AWESOME friends tonight to celebrate this day of love together!! I’ll blog about that later!!!


I love you all more than you’ll ever know!!!


Psalm 28: 7 (NLT) “The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wonderfully expressed, Larissa. And, I love all of those Scriptures that you included!

"Your love, O LORD, reaches
to the heavens,
Your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like
the mighty moutains,
Your justice like the great deep ...
How priceless is Your unfailing love!
Both high and low among men
find refuge in the shadow
of Your wings.
They feast on the abundance
of Your house;
You give them drink from Your river
of delights.
For with You is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.
Continue Your love to those
who know You,
Your righteousness
to the upright in heart."

(Psalm 36:5-10)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Well that sweet blog brought tears to my eyes. It was such a beautiful reminder of the LOVE all around us and sooooooooo undeserving, at that!! Of course the most undeserving is God's love - that love just leaves me amazed!!! Then my husbands unconditional love - trust me, I can be VERY unloving at times!! He is so faithful and consistent in his love for me!! And my friends keep loving me in spite of my shortcomings too!! And then to top it off - just as you shared - that furry little companion is so incredibly loyal! He won't even lick the wrong ice cream bowl - only if the owner of the bowl tells him it's ok :) And you made me smile when you said how Socks gets excited all over again each time you go for another walk, although it's the same ole' route. It's not about where we're going - it's just about going and spending time with us. And speaking of spending time - that is what I must continually remember and make a huge effort to carve into my daily schedule - TIME for those that grace me with their LOVE. Thanks Larissa. Your words are what I needed this morning :) Hugs. KIM

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

What a sweet blog post! Thank you for your reminder that our Heavenly Father loves us no matter what day or circumstance!
Thank you for praying for Sean...I'm putting up a new post today about his progress!
Thank you also for listening to my rant about my Lele!!! She ended up being at the guy's house that asked if they could go out sometime....imagine that, my 15 yr old??? But apparently, they had a good time together, his Mom was with them the whole time so I'm okay with that...however, the Dad is not!!! Too funny to watch your girls grow into young women when there is nothing you can do to stop it!!!
Love you!!!

Glo said...

Larissa,

Can I just tell you how sweet it has been to watch all that God has done with you since our last tour in Okinowa. This was beautifully written