Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Eve 2008

I was reflecting back on how I spent New Year’s Eve day in 2007 in comparison to this year and what a difference a year makes. I started journaling in December of 2007 and it’s been fun to compare the two years – I highly recommend it!! I got this great idea from my mother-in-law, Katy, and have found at least one other person, in my life, who does keep track of their days, too!! Nancy T. “journals” a little differently through a book that tracks your life, a decade at a time. She only writes one line for each day, vs. my small page, but a decade of days is kept on the same page so you can see what you were doing this same time last year and the year before that and the year before that, etc. I loved the idea so I am at least starting to look back at what I did this time last year.


Last year I had the ability to watch TV so I watched the Today Show and worked on a personal scrapbook for my friend, Heidi, who is a breast cancer survivor. This year I volunteered at our Newcomer’s Brief for PWOC and bought 2 large boiling pans at the PX, with my hubs in tow. This time last year I was living in my own home in 29 Palms, CA with a view of the desert and the Marine Corps base. This year, I am renting a gorgeous apartment, with a view of Kin bay and Tengan Pier in Okinawa, Japan. I was looking for something I did on both days and unfortunately I found it – I did dishes on both these days, one year apart!! What is up with that???? The good news is I enjoyed a better lunch this year, at Chili’s, Too! Instead of eating at Del Taco – that’s an improvement, right?


I did enjoy making another batch of Old Fashion Wassail which is why I was forced to do the dishes on New Year’s Eve.


Wassail simmering with the cinnamon and cloves.


This is proof that I actually visit my kitchen and use it for crazy things like "cooking". This is also proof that I did do dishes on December 31st, 2008.


Something I will never be able to do in the states on New Year’s Eve is search in a Y100 store for biodegradable poop bags. We were running out and the store is right next to our friend’s apartment building where we were attending their annual New Year’s Eve bash. With a minimum of a 30 minute drive from Courtney to anywhere we want to go you add errands into the mix whenever you can. Though they were out of said bags I did find some cute Valentine’s boxes – always on the look-out for cute stuff here, even on New Year’s Eve.


We had a great time at the Bale’s party, visiting with our mutual friends and meeting new ones. Melanie knows how to throw a party – cater it and have your husband’s band, Handsome Stranger, provide the entertainment!!!


Melanie Bales - the hostess with the mostess!!! I forgot to get a picture of her and her husband together!!!

Unfortunately, we did not stay long enough to hear the band as we wanted to get home before the local crowds converged on the streets after celebrating New Year’s Eve their own way. We were home by 11p.m. and playing Monopoly on our new Wii – another huge difference from last year to this year. Who would have thought that a childless couple would even consider such a purchase. In the middle of said game we received a Happy New Year call from Mike Mulroy – I love hearing from the states!!!!



Happy New Year and God bless!!!


May this be your best year ever - filled with His peace!!!!!

3 comments:

Mishka said...

You are so funny....J and I are a childless couple too and we have a Wii that Santa brought us. We are busy playing Winter Sports 2 and Wii Sports but I am looking forward to get some other games for it too? How do you like the Monopoly? We used to play a cool Monopoly game on the old Nintendo boxes...haha.

Oh, and I am a journaler too. I do a "look back" to posts on the bottom of each of my posts and I keep a hand written journal near my bed that I put more personal or sensitive stuff in....don't know who will care about all my scribblings once I am gone but it keeps me sane so I do it...haha.

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

I know you don't post as often as you'd like, or I'd like for that matter!, but I have given you an award so you need to read my latest blog and pick it up!

Marianne posted a pic of the card you sent Micah...that was awesome! At this point in my life, all I could do was a dollar bill in an envelope!

Take care and have a great weekend!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Okay, it has now been more than a month since you posted...time to post, my friend!!!