Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God bless America

As I read a friend’s blog today I was listening to her playlist. A familiar song came on by one of my favorite Christian singers, Nichole Nordeman. The song is titled “I am” and she is singing to God at different stages in her life. The chorus is “When I was weak, unable to speak, still I could call you by name.” As a child, she called Him Elbow-healer, Superhero. As a teenager she called Him Heartache- healer and Secret-keeper. As a newlywed she called him Shepherd, Savior, Pasture-maker. And at the end of the song she calls Him Creator, Maker, Life-sustainer; Comforter and my Redeemer!!!! It’s a great song– please check it out and listen closely.

My point is that I have always found comfort in this song and today it especially holds great truth for me as our new President-elect was announced. I did not vote for Obama and yet I’m reminded, by Nichole’s words, that God is our Superhero, Savior, Comforter and Redeemer and no matter who sits in the "office" we stand on the knowledge that only God sits on the throne!!! I've been quoting my friend, Kristen, all day, to many of my friends because they are devastated!!! I don’t want to be devastated, I want to move from "What happened?" to "What do we do now?" I believe now we pray for our new leaders, trust God, focus on the TRUTH and not our circumstances and praise His name!!!! I want to “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” (Romans 12:12)

Reading blogs has been filling a lot of my time these past few months and I have several friends who have great and encouraging blogs. My friend, Kathryn, has a very inspiring blog and I copied some of what she had to say this morning, before all the votes were tallied. I pray you will find comfort in her words. To see her entire post check out http://purewells.blogspot.com

Beloved, I am unwavering in my belief of God's Truth. I firmly believe that "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD ..." (Psalm 33:12). I also am sure of Isaiah 60:12: " ... the nation that will not serve You will perish; it will be utterly ruined.

"Much rhetoric is flying, as always during an election year. Much is being said. Much is being promised. Much change is forecast. Words fly according to the way the political winds blow. Foundations sway. Sands shift beneath the surface of well-polished and carefully crafted appearances.

There is only one thing that is sure. There is only One person in whom Truth, Light, and Life are absolute (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8). There is only one way that I can vote today, and that is according to the principles and commands of God's Holy Word. I resolve to honor the sanctity of His created life. I resolve to uphold marriage as He designed it. I resolve to support His people, Israel.No human leader will perfectly fulfill all the duties and responsibilities, but, to effectively govern with Divine justice and righteousness, one must have the Lord Jesus Christ as the cornerstone of the administration. I resolve to cast my vote for the person who best represents God's heart and best meets His criteria. As a Christian, I must be so resolved, for one day, I will stand before my Judge, Who will hold me accountable for choices made within my knowledge of Him.

I cannot presume to assume what will transpire in the days, weeks, and months ahead, but I do know this:God is sovereign.God is just.God is righteous.And, one day soon, Jesus Christ will return to visibly rule His kingdom.Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Precious Father, thank You for the gift of this day! Thank You for the blessing and privilege of serving as salt and light in a bland and blind world. Thank You for Your promise in Isaiah 11; how I long for its fulfillment! May Your will be done today, oh Holy God, on earth as it is in heaven (see Matthew 6:9-13). I pray in the name of Jesus Christ--Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Amen.


I want to be unwavering and not devastated. Another truth that gives me hope is that I was born in a free country where I am able to freely say what I want, vote the way I want and praise God’s Holy Name because of that freedom. That has not changed! Praise God for the men and women who sacrifice so much for those freedoms!

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, girl! I was loving your post today ... and then I ran into myself!! :-) Thanks so much; I do pray that everyone will remember that our hope, trust, and security is only in Jesus Christ.

I've been meditating on 1 Samuel 8 this morning (among other Scriptures!), and I'm also pondering the seeming significance of the fact that there are 77 days between Election Day and Inauguration Day. Interesting number!

I pray that you and Bill are doing well. I love keeping up with what you're doing through "The House of Traquair" and through facebook. :-)

Love to you both!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Very good! Today is hard on my 18 yr old...she voted for McCain...and as I read through the different blogs, one theme continues to spill out: This is in God's hands. We are called to walk in Truth and Light even in a dark world.

I will especially be lifting you up, and a military wife in Germany. I know the days ahead may be volatile, but God is still in control (even of the US Armed Forces!!!)

Thank you for blessing me!

Pamela

Kristen said...

Good stuff! Wish I could've talked to you more this morning but I had to get the little one. You'll be happy to know that she tried to get her money out of her pocket again to buy her brother a drink. She kills me. She really believes she's pulling out money when she's only holding on to air. :)

Anonymous said...

Having always wanted to serve the Lord in a missionary capacity . . . after the results of the election, I find HERE in America, my OWN country, I am! When 67 percent of my fellow Californians & over half of my fellow Americans didn't agree, in action, with Godly principles aren't we too on the battle field?

While getting my dog's their carrots this morning I was reminded of the names of God on my refrigerator & found comfort in Jehovah-Mekkaddishkem & Jehovah- Tsidekenu. Of course, Jehovah-Shalom.

As I put off my clothes of mourning, I step out in a different level of trust in Him, Jehovah-Nissi. I remind myself, Jehovah-Shammah, my ever present God is always there. He never leaves us or forsakes us. His fullness & glory dwells in & around us!

Machel

Anonymous said...

Larissa, You are such an inspiration! God is using you and your blog to still touch your dear friends here in the states in a very special way. It also makes me feel closer to you - despite that vast ocean between us :)

I love you girl and agree with you! If we take our eyes off Jesus, just like Peter, it can sometimes look like we are drowning. But God IS in control. He has a purpose in all things and he will use all things to His glory for those who are called according to His purpose. My responsibility in all this is to remain "called according to HIS purpose". Our country needs an awakening - a revival - and this just may be what's needed for more of us to repent, fall to our knees, humble ourselves and PRAY!! Then, He will heal our land! Praise God!

Thanks for sharing Larissa. Hugs to Bill! Scrabble and/or Sudoku sound like some great distractions :)